William Brandrick was born in Lichfield in 1893. He had an elder brother and two younger sisters. His father John Brandrick was a police sergeant and lived in Trentham Police House on Longton Road, which is now occupied by the NatWest Bank.
In 1911 William Brandrick was working as a wood turner at Brough, Nicholson & Hall (silk mill), Leek and living at 46 Compton in Leek. He later moved to Basford Lane, Leekbrook. He married Hilda Birch in Cheadle in September 1917.
He joined the Machine Gun Corps (Motors) 11th battery as a gunner in November 1915. His regimental number was 2660. He died instantly on 16 April 1918, aged 24, when a shell landed in his dugout. His grave is at Voormezeele Enclosures 1 and 2, Ieper, West Vlaanderen, Belgium.
Photo from Weekly Sentinel 11 May 1918
View of Vormazeele Cemetery, Ieper, Belgium
W E Brandrick's war grave